Friday, February 9, 2018

Day 1

Every year just before New Year's Eve I prepare to enter the New Year. I review the past year and make some amendments for the new one. These New Year resolutions never stick (I'm no different from anyone else), but instead of getting down about it, I give myself another chance on my birthday, which comes 6 weeks after New Year's Day.

My birthday is in 3 days, so this is a good time to start preparing for it. I have already not been painting every day (my first resolution), nor have I gotten on a steady exercise program. But something deeper is stirring. It began last night in a class I am taking by Francis Weller called "Living a Soulful Life." The lesson was on Beauty.

Francis said, "The world is meant to astonish us through its beauty."

This blog is the beginning of my truly appreciating the beauty around me. It is my own awakening tool. A promise to myself to live more consciously in the world. Today on my usual walk I looked at every flower and chose one to photograph. I will extend the photos beyond flowers and cats (I promise), but it is such a tempting way to start. I will let these pages unfold naturally. I will seek out beauty every day. This is my birthday resolution.

It will be fun for you to come along this ride with me. If in any way it can help you appreciate the beauty around you, I will have more than succeeded.

I'll end on another note from Francis Weller, "Let beauty become the basis or the ground for your life." And a final question from the class, referring to just about anything, "Does it lead to beauty?"

1 comment: